Monday, December 2, 2013

Holiday Extravaganza

The fabulous Kristen of Rukristen Papercrafts sponsored the Holiday Extravaganza over the weekend where she hosted challenges and blog posts every hour for 2 days. It was amazing. Here are some of my completed challenges:

Challenge 1: Holiday Storytelling





 I told the story of our advent adventures - Elf on the Shelf (which reminds me, I need to move Elizabeth before the morning), a Lego advent calendar (birthday present from Katherine's aunt), a chocolate advent calendar (and we just received another one today - just what this month needs, more chocolate!), our Truth in the Tinsel ornaments, wrapped Christmas books to open each day, and our fun activity (the first day's activity was watching The Muppet Christmas Carol). I know, it sounds like a lot. But I've done these in the past so I'm pretty comfortable with what needs to be done and I've done a lot of preparation (for example, I made a list of where the Elf is going to go each day so I'm not coming down in the middle of the night and trying to find a new place for her to hide).

Challenge 3: Document Right Now




 I used a Currently card from Kristen's shop. I absolutely love this project! Every week, Kristen posts her currently list and it reminds me to write out mine. I downloaded her cards and printed them, so I have a stack waiting for me, so there is no excuse not to jot down what is happening right now.

Challenge 4: These Are a Few Of My Favorite Things

Here, I chose star embellishments and I love how this card turned out. This is one of the challenges that really forced me to try to combine elements that I had into something that I would not have thought to create on my own. I added little sparkly star embellishments from last year's Studio Calico December Daily kit to a piece of pattern paper from this year's Studio Calico December Daily kit.

Challenge 5: Preparing a Holiday Album

I'm doing December Daily again this year and I am using the Studio Calico kit. I had already painted my album cover and put the page protectors in the album, but beyond that I was sort of stuck. I decided to tackle the title page as that often is the most daunting part of a project for me. I embossed the chipboard "25" that came with the Studio Calico kit like Ali Edwards did here and then I put our last name below using some number stickers from last year's kit. (Note: I have a lot of materials left over from last year's kit, so hopefully I can use them this year, too.)

Challenge 7: Get Messy

 When I read the challenge to get messy, I knew that there would be watercolors in my future. This card is from the Studio Calico November Project Life kit and I thought it was too bland as it was. I took my watercolors and added a little holiday color. I didn't even get as messy as I feared! I will definitely be using watercolors more in the future.




Challenge 8: Minimalist Style




 I gravitate toward a minimalist style, so this wasn't too difficult for me. I wavered whether to put the flair button on the page, but they are my favorite embellishment and I thought that one piece wouldn't make it too cluttered.

No comments:

Post a Comment